With input from an international design team and the Vegan Flag Facebook group, the flag was designed with three triangles that form the letter V using blue, green and white, which represents sea, land, and air.
According to the Vegan Flag Facebook group, the colors were chosen because of the values they represent:
- Blue – sky, sea, faith, truth, heaven
- Green – land, life, nature, energy, harmony
- White – unity, light, goodness, success, beginning
Hakimi, inspired by the LGBTQ rainbow flag, created the vegan flag with the belief that “every important movement in history has a powerful and memorable flag,” according to the Facebook group.
When creating the flag, Hakimi followed five guidelines of designing a flag:
- Only using three colors
- Not replicating existing flag designs
- Omitting text and seals
- Using meaningful symbolism
- Keeping the flag so simple that a child could draw it from memory
The flag is now being spread across the internet. Free digital downloads are available and other items such as stickers, t-shirts, and actual flags are being sold in online stores.
Hakimi’s goal is that “the flag be identified everywhere and appear everywhere. I have a feeling that the flag is really going to catch,” he told Tivo News.